Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Little Blessing

October 1st is a day I'll never forget. Not only does it mark the beginning of the coming fall/winter months which I love but it is also the day that I discovered that God has granted us with a little blessing.

I had been sick with a cold the past few weeks so I wasn't really paying attention to much else but as I laid in bed the night before, I realized Aunt Flow hadn't made her appearance yet. I had a pregnancy test handy so I decided to take it in the morning just for the heck of it.

I really didn't think much of it. I expected it to be negative so when I saw that stick go from a timer to the word "pregnant" I was shocked. I couldn't believe it. I just stood there and didn't know what to do. My first thought was, "when should I tell Kyle?" Keep in mind that it was 6am and neither of us are used to getting up that early. I thought maybe I should wait until after class but then I worried that he would find the pregnancy test. I also knew I probably couldn't wait that long.

I sat on the bed and rubbed his arm to wake him up. He turned to me and I asked him if he was awake. I explained to him that I hadn't seen Aunt Flow yet so I took a pregnancy test. Then I lifted it up so he could see it and he paused, turned his head away, and said, "I'll believe it when I see it." I knew he was joking but all I said was that I was going to buy another just to be sure. I then went about getting ready to leave.

As I was getting ready I kept thinking about how much I wanted to be excited but was afraid that somehow it wasn't true. I expressed this concern to Kyle but he was far more excited and giddy than I was. He kept smiling at me and kept wanting to hold me and hug me. He was really cute. :)

The next morning I took another test and it was also positive. Again, I couldn't believe it. Other than a few subtle signs I really didn't feel pregnant. I also knew that these early weeks are very crucial and sensitive so I was really guarding my heart so that I wouldn't get too attached. Even now, I don't think it has really hit me yet and of course that worry and fear is still there. I keep telling myself, however, that God is in control. Just as I trusted Him in getting pregnant I can also trust Him to take care of my baby. Deep down inside I am thrilled but I don't know that it has truly hit me yet.

I had an appointment on October 11th and getting the pregnancy confirmed and talking with the RN really helped me feel more at ease. Hearing her say that their tests are really sensitive and that there is no doubt that I am pregnant made me breathe a sigh of relief. I have a sonogram scheduled for November 15th so if it doesn't become real to me by then it surely will when I see that little one in there!

I am seven weeks along and I am due June 9th, 2012. We are anxious for the coming weeks and we can't wait to find out whether we are having a boy or a girl. That was the first thing Kyle wanted to know but I had to inform him that it would be quite some time before we could find that out. :) Anyway, we're thankful, excited, and would appreciate all of your prayers for a healthy baby!






3 comments:

  1. A sono will make it feel more real :-) I honestly couldn't believe I was pregnant with Judah until I heard her little heartbeat! It was amazing. I'm so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I am very happy for you.
    Sarah, I think I will have very similar feelings to yours if I am in the same situation in the future--it'll have to really sink in! At least, that's how I imagine it.
    I will pray for you to really give all of that anxiousness and any creeping fears over to our great God. He knew you would get pregnant, and all about your precious baby, before even *you* were born (as you well know =) ). Remember His immutability and omniscience when you are tempted to worry. =)
    Praising God with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, thank you! I can't wait for the sono! :)

    Saralynn, thank you so much! I appreciate your prayers and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete