Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cooking for the Betterment of the Family

Ever since I got married I've been cooking dinner for Kyle and his parents. I've never done much cooking before. I've done a lot of baking because that's what I got into when I was younger. I was always baking brownies, cookies, pies and cakes. I learned basic cooking skills by helping and watching my mom but when I began cooking almost every night I found it stressful. I was afraid of burning the food, over cooking, under cooking, or just making a bad tasting meal. The cooking process was stressful and I didn't enjoy it. However, lately I have found myself enjoying it more. I suppose I've gotten use to it now and it's no longer new. I enjoy preparing healthy and tasty meals for my family. I like knowing that I'm not just throwing a pre-made meal into the oven but that I'm chopping, grating, frying, grilling, stirring and mixing in order to make meals from scratch. It makes me feel really accomplished and good about myself when I've prepared a good meal and people enjoy it. It takes a long time to cook a meal, especially if you're making dishes from scratch, but I think it's time well spent. For a while the time bothered me but not so much anymore. I'm learning cooking terminology which helps because that saves me time from looking up terms on Google in the middle of cooking! I'm also learning how to do things more efficiently.

Now that I'm making fresh meals I realized that I could be baking cakes and pies from scratch as well! I've always made brownies and cookies from scratch, never from mixes or pre-made dough but it never occurred to me to make other desserts from scratch as well. So now I make cakes, icing and fillings from scratch as well. Not only does it all taste better but it's better for you too! No trans fat and nothing "fake" about it. I like knowing what I'm putting in my food and I like telling people that this is the real deal; it's not store bought! If any of you want recipes let me know, I'm happy to share. And if any of you want a cake I can not only bake it but I can decorate it too!

I'm still trying to get back to my decorating hobby. I wish I had more time to practice. I'm making a cake for my sister's baby shower and I got a really creative idea for it. I'm hoping it will work out! If it does it will be my most creative one yet. :)

Well, now that all of you are good and hungry, I'm going to go ice some brownies for a party tonight! Good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment