Thursday, November 11, 2010

Patience and Contentment

Plans don't always pan out, they don't always remain the same.

I had planned to go to China in March but that fell through. I don't have the time or focus to raise money right now. There are too many other things going on right now . . . not to mention still being a newlywed! I'll have to fulfill my mission practicum trip later and I am okay with that.

What was much harder to accept was the fact that I won't be graduating until December 2011. I was planning on graduating in May 2011 but I found out that I had more classes to take than I thought. In order to graduate in May I would have to take 17 hours next semester. Kyle and I both agreed that 17 hours would be too much work and very hard to schedule around his job. So, I will be adding an Education minor to my degree so that I will have 24 hours left to take which means 12 hours next semester and 12 hours the following semester. Though it is disappointing to have to drag this out longer I know it will work out better. I get to add another minor of interest and will still receive financial aid. What really stinks however is that even though I will finish my degree requirements in December 2011, I won't actually graduate until May 2012. Criswell does not have a December graduation and I will not be given my diploma unless I have a special need. So I will have to wait 5 months to actually receive my diploma and be considered a graduate. I think that's stupid but there's nothing I can do about it. I think I've come to accept it but it's still annoying.

I love my in-laws and I appreciate them letting Kyle and I live with them but I am anxious for us to have our own place. I want a clean and organized house where I can put things where I want them and decorate how I like. The plan is to save up money and move out next year but I'm worried it might take longer than that. Some plans can't be fulfilled until this happens which makes me worry even more.

Kyle has started new hours at his job this week. He is now working 3 days a week from 12pm to 12am. It means more time at home which is nice but him not coming home until late takes some getting use to.

I've never been a fan of change. I like to have plans and stick to them. It gives me security, stability, and comfort. Unfortunately, life is not like that. I am having to learn patience and contentment. I am trying to be patient and content with the way things are knowing that it won't always be this way. I will graduate and one day we will have our own place. Hopefully Kyle will be able to have a more permanent and secure job soon so that we can start saving more.

These things can be frustrating and discouraging but such is life. I know that I need to be patient, find contentment with where I am now, and trust that God is sovereign even over my little plans. I can find security, stability and comfort in knowing that God is in control and is looking out for us. Everything will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment