Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Foolish People

I don't understand most people. I try to see things from other people's point of view but there are some people who are just plain dumb. I've had arguments and debates with people who cannot hold their own and have absolutely no idea how to argue their point of view in an intelligent way. Sometimes I get so angry when people behave like idiots. It makes me angry that they will hold onto their point of view so tightly when they so obviously don't understand the topic and are so wrong in their thinking. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and see things from their world but sometimes it just can't be done. This is especially so when Biblical proof is given and they still hold onto what they believe or feel. I'm a stubborn person and I don't like being wrong either but when the Bible says one thing and I think or feel another, I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I'm wrong and I need to make a change. I'm not going to argue with the Bible. Yet, there are so many people who will argue with the Bible or just ignore what it says. That is stupidity and foolishness. That is what I can't stand, that is what makes me angry. It also makes me angry that people will argue something with me when they know nothing about the subject and I GO TO SCHOOL to GET A DEGREE in that subject. I'm not trying to blow my own horn here. It's just a simple fact. Why would you think you know more than me about theology or the background of the Bible when you got a degree in business and I got a degree in Biblical studies? That's like me thinking I can perform a surgery better than a surgeon. It's just silly!

I run into this a lot on Facebook. Granted, it's easy to speak one's mind on Facebook because, contrary to the name, you don't actually have to look anyone in the face! It's easy for things to be taken out of context, misunderstood, and blown out of proportion when you never see anyone's face or hear their voice. I see it all the time. However, being that everything is written, it should be easier to clearly communicate and even determine if what you are about to write is really something that should be public. It's like people forget that the hundreds of "friends" on Facebook will see what they posted and have the ability to comment and agree or disagree. And it's amazing how many people cannot clearly communicate or even put together an intelligible sentence! It drives me crazy!! If you can't clearly communicate and engage people in an intelligent way then you have no business speaking, or in this case, writing! Seriously people, go read a book!

Do not misunderstand me. I'm not saying that when people engage me in a biblical discussion that they should take everything I say as absolute truth. They should, however, realize that I go to a Bible college and am getting a degree in Biblical studies, and that they should think about what I say and study for themselves. I want people to learn and to question and to make discoveries. People can't do that, however, when they can't see any further than themselves and the world that they know.

Foolish people, foolish me, let us gain a humble attitude and let us learn from one another. You know things that I do not; I can learn from you. I know things that you do not; you can learn from me. Things are rarely ever as they appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment