Monday, December 13, 2010

Birth Control: Right or Wrong?

After my last post about children I started getting questions about my view of birth control. My immediate response was more or less, "I don't know, I'm still thinking about it."

While preparing for marriage I read a book about sexual intimacy in marriage and it covered the different forms of birth control. With the exception of condoms, all of them left a small window of chance for an egg to be fertilized and then terminated or they sounded shady in a way that made me feel uneasy. I discussed it with Kyle and we both quickly agreed that we would not take that chance. So, as a person who values the sanctity of life and lives by biblical standards, I would argue that using most forms of birth control is wrong. Of course, that leaves myself and anyone else who has faced this with the question, what about condoms or any other "safe" form of birth control? And is using birth control failing to trust God with this area of our life? After a long discussion with my husband and some time in prayer, I came to the conclusion that it is not wrong to use condoms but neither is it wrong to not use condoms.

I believe that a couple can use condoms and still be trusting in God to determine the right time for them to have a child. If they continually seek God's will through prayer then I believe that God will let them know when it's time. And of course condoms or any means of birth control do not limit God. He holds all things together and works all things out according to His will.

On the other extreme, I don't believe that it is wrong or irresponsible of a couple to not use birth control as long as it is something that God has convicted them of. I do believe that God opens and closes the womb and that He is in complete control. If a couple has sought God's wisdom and feels strongly that they should forgo birth control then I believe that they are completely right to do so.

That is my view on birth control. I know that this is a hot topic and that there are many different opinions. It was hard to think through and come to a conclusion. It's a gray area for Christians and I think the best thing to do is to seek God's will and wisdom through prayer and trust in Him. He knows what is best for your marriage and family. I think that is something that all young married couples and parents can find peace in.

No comments:

Post a Comment