Thursday, December 9, 2010

Is There Such a Thing as TOO Many Kids?

I come from a family of nine. I have a mom and a dad, two older siblings, and four younger siblings. People consider us a big family and I remember how people would react when they saw all of us together growing up. My parents usually got the question, "Are they all yours?" People were always interested in the dynamics of a large family yet no one ever really understood. It seems that, for a lot of people, the thought of having more than two or three kids is ridiculous. There are people who would say having a big family is irresponsible and even wrong. I don't agree with those statements at all. I believe children are a blessing and a gift from God. I believe couples should have as many children as God would grant them. God, in His sovereignty, knows how many children each couple should have. I acknowledge that sometimes God grants none, one, just a few, or even as many as 20.

I think most people are familiar with the Duggar family who, as of right now, are a family of 21. My feelings toward this family consist of admiration and respect. I think it is awesome that God has given Michelle and Jim Bob 19 kids to raise and has provided the means in which for them to do so. I admire their trust in God and their willingness to accept each child He gives them. Their lives revolve around the children God has given to them and they appear to fulfill their roles as parents by teaching, guiding, loving, and raising their children to be godly men and women. I believe that every parent should devote themselves to their children in this way. And in doing so, they are devoting themselves to God and His calling of them as parents; to take His children, train them up in the way they should go, and then give them back to Him.

Now, I don't want anyone to misunderstand me. I'm not saying that once you're a parent that you're never anything else. I do believe that parents have other roles in life as well. They aren't just parents but also a spouse, a friend, a co-worker, ect. Parents have hobbies and dreams as well and I believe that every parent needs a break every now and then and needs to have a "life" outside of their kids as long as it doesn't affect the kids in a negative way. My point is that to be a parent is a very high calling and to be given the opportunity to love and raise as many children as God would give is a gift no one should deny.

I don't think that there is such a thing as TOO many kids. I believe that God gives as many kids as He sees fit to each couple and that number, whatever it is, is just right.

All my life I have had a strong desire to be a mother. I have always said that I want four or five because in my mind that's not too few and not too many. However, when Kyle and I were preparing for marriage and discussed children we both agreed that we would trust God with how many kids we will have. We both have our own ideas about what number would be a good "fit" in our eyes but that is only in our eyes. Neither of us have ever been a parent before so we both admit that after baby number 1 our minds could change entirely. So, instead of relying on ourselves to make a "responsible" decision, we are trusting God to steer our hearts and minds towards His will for our family. We will receive with joy every child He gives us and will seek His will about when we have "enough."

So too many kids? No way.
Many blessings bestowed on those undeserving? Yes.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I am made nervous thinking about it, but in the end our God won't give us more than we can handle, and that beautiful psalm points out that someone who fills their quiver full of children is blessed by God

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. I agree with what you've said. Some of my favorite passages concerning family are Psalm 127 & 128. The other day I was thinking that sometimes we look at children more like marriage accessories. We are like I think I would like a little girl in maybe two years and a little boy two years after that and then we got the perfect family unit look going on. We forget to welcome children as blessings sent to earth to bring glory to God. May God help us as we pursue to live out our lives for His glory.

    ReplyDelete