Thursday, May 19, 2011

Happiness

"Though dozens of moods are available to women, we would all prefer to be in a good one. And though numerous emotions flit through our hearts every day, one feeling is esteemed more than all the others - happiness. We don't really mind what God has planned for us, so long as we are guaranteed happiness in the midst of it. We want to live happily ever after. And what keeps us happy? When things go our way. When everything runs smoothly in the direction we had hoped it would go, we are able to maintain a pleasant frame of mind. No bumps. No interruptions. No inconveniences. In order to maintain our personal contentment, we begin to avoid situations that might compromise our happiness. 

I want no regrets, so I will take no chances. I do not want to feel shame, so I will blend quietly into the crowd. I don't want to be disappointed, so I'll lower my expectations. I do not feel happy when I am confused, so I won't bother learning anything new. I do not wish to be embarrassed, so I will avoid speaking up. I don't want to experience sadness, so I will not allow myself to care. We set up emotional comfort zones and stay within them. No one can make us budge, not even the LORD. We create our own happy, little bubble - safe haven, untouched by others. We take firm control so we can always be happy. Happiness - no matter what the cost." - Managing Your Moods, Women of Faith Study Guide Series. 

It's easy to think that we are entitled to happiness. It's easy to think, "God loves me so surely He wants me to be happy." It's easy to think that obtaining happiness should be our main goal in life. It's so easy to seek out what makes us happy. However, happiness is only a blessing that God gives from time to time. Though happiness certainly has its place in life it is not a constant state, for sorrow, hurt, and anger seep in and rob us of what happiness was there. Obtaining happiness is not the goal in life but rather glorifying God in all circumstances. We are not guaranteed happiness but we are guaranteed that God is sovereign and that He brings hope and purpose into every situation. We need to let go of control and trust God. Our happiness shouldn't be a driving force but rather we should think of others and ultimately of God. Often times it is the most unhappiest situations that bring about the most glory and the most joy. It is like when my husband and I have an argument. I'm certainly not happy during the hours or perhaps even days that my husband and I are at odds but once we work through it and then make up, the bond between us is even greater and stronger and our affection towards one another even sweeter. Those times of unhappiness can be good and even healthy. Happiness isn't everything.

I'm still learning to view happiness through this lens. It's not easy, especially as a woman, because the emotions that work their way through my heart are numerous. I don't always know how to handle how I feel. My emotions are often what drives me and sometimes I don't even realize it. What should drive me, however, is the Word of God and His Truth. My heart is deceitful and wicked (Jeremiah 17:9). I can't trust my heart, I can't always trust my emotions because they come and go, but I can trust God and seek for Truth.

Emotions can be valid, don't get me wrong. God has given us the ability to feel and for some of us we feel everything very deeply. It is what we do with these emotions, how we respond, that dictate how much control these emotions have over us. I believe that I am slowly letting go of the control my emotions have over me and more and more placing control in the hands of God. I find myself praying more and reading the Scriptures more. It really does make a difference. To remain in the Word keeps my focus where it needs to be and to pray reminds me Who I need to trust above everyone else.

There are times that we will be happy; may we remember to praise God. There are times when we will be sad; may we remember to praise God.

No comments:

Post a Comment