Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Life as Sarah Kerby

Everyone wants their story told. Everyone wants to be known for something. Some are creatively skilled in the arts and are able to express themselves through brush, color, and pencil. Others can capture beautiful pictures (which I dabble in) and others can sing, play an instrument, or act. Still others can write, using their words to express what is on their minds and in their hearts. I am one who writes. I write to process, to express, to focus and leave behind. I keep a journal, it sits on my bedside table, and when the mood strikes me I write the happenings, frustrations, and joys of my day. There are times when I write everyday but there are also times when I write every now and then, maybe only recording a few entries for an entire year. I love to write with my hand…to feel the pen sweep across the page. I have many journals stuffed full with the stories of my life. I think about how, someday, when I am gone, that my children or grandchildren will find my journals and enjoy reading them. I could be wrong, my life is probably not that exciting, but if one of my grandparents had kept a journal I would have loved to get my hands on that! But maybe that’s just the writer and reader in me that cares. My offspring may not give a care and that’s okay. Writing has always helped me so it does not go to waste.

Though I have kept many journals since I was a young teenager, I would like to start a blog recording my life as Sarah Kerby, the wife of THE Kyle Kerby. Beginning a marriage is beginning a whole new phase of life. Marriage changes things; heck it even changes me. Here I thought I was all grown up but come to find I still have more growing to do. I don’t think that will ever stop though.

I have been married for three weeks and three days now. I made a covenant with Kyle on August 7, 2010. It felt like a dream but slowly and surely, reality hits. Marriage is amazing and I love being Mrs. Kyle Kerby. I enjoy sharing a life with him. I look forward to every night when he comes home from work. I cherish the strong arms that wrap around me any time I am upset, frustrated or scared. I love looking at him and knowing that “my beloved is mine and I am his” and that this is forever; a covenant is not meant to be broken. I know that we have not met all challenges yet and we still have much to learn but it didn’t take long to preview how things are going to be. For instance, Kyle will probably always leave his clothes in the bathroom. He’ll probably always leave lights on when they needn’t be. He’ll probably always think that he knows best and try to get me to do things his way. He’ll leave the seat up, hair in the sink and on the counter, his towel carelessly flung over the shower, and the bed sloppily made. He’ll probably always think that using my bath towel to dry the grill was the best option he had. He’ll always ball up his dirty socks and put them in the hamper when they should be right side out and separated for proper cleaning. He’ll always enjoy watching MMA and that is something I will never understand. Despite all this, I love the heck out of him. He makes me laugh, comforts me when I cry for absolutely no reason, lets me choose the TV show or movie to watch, buys me Ted Dekker books and flowers, spoils me with yummy treats, and will get me almost anything I want or ask for. He’ll massage me when I hurt, scratch my back and arms every time I ask, and generally treats me like a princess. I could not have chosen a better man for me.

I know that as time goes on I will probably discover more things about Kyle that I can’t stand. Some of the things that I love about him now may become one of those irritating habits later on. But whatever happens, he’s my husband and I am very proud of that fact. And I am sure that there are things about me that irritate him and being the wise man that he is, he is not letting on to those things. ;) He sings my praises even when I know that I’m wrong or being annoying.

All in all, life is good in the Kerby household. We look forward to the future and everything that holds – the growing, learning, loving and fighting. So far, the journey is enjoyable, despite the little bumps we encounter along the way.        

4 comments:

  1. Okay, the bath towel to dry the grill would really get to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, it got to me too! I was appauled...I wouldn't say that I was angry, just really confused on his thought process. Needless to say, men think differently than women. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I'm sure I make plenty of those mistakes! If you lovingly explain to a man WHY we should change the way we do things, it goes a long way in getting us to do them.

    Good luck! I am excited to be a normative reader of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this...it's so true of men :-) Adam leaves his pj's on the floor every morning for me to pick up, which annoys me. I hate water spots on the sink and mirror, dirty dishes in the sink, loud music, etc...all of which either don't bother my husband or he likes. It gets better, though. I don't know if you just get used to picking up after them or what, but it doesn't bother me as much now. I think I've just accepted it as a fact of life. lol. Also, Adam (as I'm sure Kyle will) has learned my pet peeves and actually tries NOT to do them anymore. No more loud music when I'm around, he tries to remember to wipe things down, still leaves the pj's on the floor, but it's okay :-) They're great guys we have! And try as I might, I can never stay frustrated or annoyed with Adam...he's just too darn cute ;-)

    ReplyDelete