Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Things I Ask Myself

1. Why does Dad, being a 50 something year old man, fail to clean up after himself?
2. Why am I the only one who puts the toilet paper roles in their holders instead of just putting them on the counter like everyone else in this house.
3. Why am I the only one who puts things where they belong?
4. Why does Trudy follow me everywhere I go?
5. Why is it that people think that just wiping a disinfectant wipe over a surface makes it clean?
6. Why do people eat cheese out of a can? That's nasty.
7. Why does it take me 2 hours to cook a stinkin meal?!
8. Why don't students pay attention in class and read their syllabus so they know what the heck they're doing?! It's really not that hard people.
9. Am I the only one who schedules out her day point by point?
10. Why does Kyle pile his stuff on the dresser instead of putting it back where he found it or finding a proper place for it?

The answer to these questions is simple: My mom. Now that I have more responsibilities and things and people to take care of, I find myself functioning the same way my Mom did when I was young. The way I am, the way I clean the house, the way I cook from scratch, the way I learn, is all because of the way my mom raised me. I was brought up to clean up after myself, to put the toilet paper role in the holder (that's what it's there for afterall), to put things in their place because everything HAS a place (my shoes go in the cloest because the living room or bedroom floor is NOT the closet). I was brought up to clean hardcore. We didn't mop. We filled a bucket with hot water and vinegar, moved the furnature to the other room, got down on our hands and knees and scrubbed the floor until it was clean. My mom never bought that squirt cheese. We ate real cheese. The only thing to eat out of a squirt bottle like that is whipped cream. It takes me two hours to cook a meal because I wasn't brought up on premade meals (plus I'm still learning). I was taught to pay attention in class, to be thorough and to be disciplined. I schedule my days because that's what my mom did. She made lists, kept a calendar, and I inherited that from her. If there were chores to be done she would make a list and designate each of us to a chore. I couldn't function without a detailed schedule and my lists of things to do. And as far as the piling goes, I can't really blame Kyle...I used to be in the habit of making piles too just because there was always so little space which is the problem here too...but when things DO have a place they need to be put back there!! I hate clutter!! haha Anyway...it's just interesting how the way I was brought up influences the way I am now. My mom pounded these things into me for years and I'll probably be pounding them into my kids one day too. Thanks, Mom! Maybe one day your grandkids will thank you too...if they're so fornuate to inherit, that is. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I know what you're saying! I'd be lost without my Mom. People say I'm a lot like her. I can only hope! :)

    ReplyDelete