Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl Sunday

I'm not a big sports fan. I hold a lot of opinions about sports that most people wouldn't agree with. I think people get way too worked up over something as insignificant and meaningless as a sports game. There are a lot more important things in this life to get passionate about. I can understand the excitement, I've felt it myself when watching one of my siblings play or when watching the Allen Americans play, but that's all sports should be...entertaining. Too much value is placed on sports and athletes and if people took that value and passion and put it towards fighting for the sanctity of life and marriage maybe this world would be a better place. I say that but I know as well as anyone that humans don't innately want to do the right, or in this case, better thing. The world won't be a better place until the Redeemer returns. But anyway...I'm not saying that sports are wrong or that athletes are bad people...I'm just saying that, like with anything in life, sports needs to be handled and enjoyed with balance.

The Packers and Steelers are playing in this year's Super Bowl and I don't care. I don't care that the Cowboys are a sucky team. I don't care who wins tonight. The reason I watch the Super Bowl is to see the commercials and eat food. When I was younger, the Super Bowl meant a party which meant I got to hang out with friends. That was always a lot of fun even though I couldn't care less about the game. So it's what comes with the game - entertainment, food, and fellowship - that makes times like these exciting, not the game itself.

So, I'll say GO PACKERS to those of you who are rooting for the Packers.

And I'll say GO STEELERS for those of you who are rooting for the Steelers.

But remember, no matter what happens, it's just a game and life goes on. When Judgment Day comes, NO BODY is going to be too worried about who won the Super Bowl. Just sayin. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment