Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 7: Something I Stand For

I was homeschooled and I am so thankful. I had the opportunity to attend a private Christian school full time but I refused to go and I don't regret it at all. Being homeschooled taught me to take responsibility and initiative. I learned how to work diligently and to the best of my ability. It gave me flexibility to focus on what I wanted to (or what my mother wanted me to) and I was able to learn things most kids in my grade did not. My mom likes history so she taught me and my siblings ancient Greek, Roman, and Egyptian history. Most importantly, I learned everything from a Biblical perspective and saw how everything went back to God and His divine plan. I was able to take co-op classes that challenged me to an even higher level of learning. I learned how to write well and to enjoy reading. When I was 15 I started taking dual college courses and when I graduated high school at 17 I had 30 college credits under my belt. Besides these educational achievements, I also learned how to think for myself and think deeply about things. And because I was with my mom so much I was able to watch her and see how to be a wife, mother, and homemaker. I learned how to do laundry (though I hated it), how to cook, bake, and clean. I learned how to raise children, how to change a diaper, how to take care of a baby and a teenager and all the ages in between. I value all of these lessons and I know that I would not be where I am today if I hadn't been homeschooled. I'm thankful to my mom for choosing this form of education for me and for being a teacher and an example. I know I didn't always make it easy for her but the older I got the more I appreciated the ability to learn and gain knowledge and to do it in a healthy environment like my home.  I look forward to teaching my own children someday and instilling in them the values, lessons, and Biblical truths that I have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment